Sika® Primer-207 is a solvent-based black primer, which reacts with moisture and forms a thin layer. This layer acts as a link between substrates and adhesives.
Sika® Primer-207 is specifically formulated for the treatment of bond faces prior to application of Sika’s 1-component Polyurethanes. This primer might provide excellent adhesion without previous activation step on many substrates. Sika® Primer-207 fluoresces under long-wave UV light for a limited period of time. This feature is used for in-process control.
UsageSika® Primer-207 is used to improve adhesion on a very broad range of different substrates such as float glass, ceramic-coated glass, plastics, pre-coatings, painted surfaces, E-coats and metals.
Seek manufacturer’s advice and perform tests on original substrates before using Sika® Primer-207 on materials prone to stress cracking.
This product is suitable for experienced professional users only. Test with actual substrates and conditions have to be performed to ensure adhesion and material compatibility.
Solvent-based polyurethane solution
5 ─ 40 °C
Brush, felt or foam applicator
depending on substrate porosity
above 5 °C
10 minutes A
24 hours A
|Shelf life (CQP016-1)|
12 months B
CQP = Corporate Quality Procedure
A) in specific application, temperature and flash-off time may be different
B) stored in sealed container in up-right position in a dry place between 5 and 25 °C
If Sika® Primer-207 is used below 5 °C further testing under worst case conditions are mandatory.
Sika® Primer-207 is a moisture reactive system. In order to maintain product quality it is important to reseal the container with the inner plastic liner immediately after use. Once the surface pre-treatment operation is completed, the cap has to be screwed on.
Dispose the product of approx. one month after opening if used frequently or after two months in case of infrequent use. For 100 ml pack sizes dispose it of two weeks after opening. 30 ml cans, stix and tubes are for single application only.
If gelling, separation or a significant increase in viscosity is noted, discard the primer immediately.
Never dilute or mix this product with any other substances.
If used on transparent or translucent substrates such as float glass, plastics, etc., an adequate UV protection is mandatory.
DETECTION OF THE LUMINESCENCE
Sika® Primer-207 can be visualized by using a light source with a wavelength of 320 to 420 nm as inline control. By reducing foreign light such as sunlight or artificial light during the detecting process the quality of the detection can be increased significantly.
Note: The luminescent effect will degrade with time.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Surfaces must be clean, dry and free from grease, oil, dust and contaminants.
Adhesion on substrates may be improved by adding and/or combining pre-treatment processes such as scuffing, cleaning and activating.
Shake the Sika® Primer-207 can very thoroughly until mixing ball rattles freely. Continue shaking for another minute and apply a thin but covering coat with a brush, felt or foam applicator.
Ideal application and surface temperature are between 15 °C and 25 °C.
Sika® Primer-207 has to be applied once only. Care must be taken to ensure that this single application gives adequately dense coverage. Consumption and method of application depend on the specific nature of the substrates. Tightly reseal container immediately after each use.
- The maximum open time is depending on many environmental factors
- High temperatures will shorten the time and dirt and dust will have a negative influence, therefore we recommend in Automotive Glass Replacement applications to clean and repeat the chemical treatment after 2h.
- New paints are difficult to bond as they are developed to be self-cleaning and repellent
- Allow the paint to properly cure first (24h)
- Use abrasive pad to scuff the surface, Sika®Cleaner G+P to clean and apply Sika®Primer-207
- If the old PU is still in place the standard procedure can be followed
- If you bond directly to FRP use abrasive pad to scuff the surface, Sika®Cleaner G+P to and apply Sika®Primer-207
- To ensure a durable bond, transparent windshields must be surface-protected against UV. Sika® UV Shielding Tape or trims can be used in cases where no protection is given. Sika Primer (and most glass primers from other manufacturers) are organic materials and will be destroyed by UV radiation within a very short time and therefor provide no durable protection.
Possible solutions are:
- Suitable print color.
- Protective metal or opaque plastic trim
- .Sika® UV Shielding Tape.
- Sika® Aktivator PRO and Sika® Primer-207 contain reactive components which react chemically with glass, paint and other materials. Once cured, they can only be removed mechanically and the upper layer of the substrate is damaged in the process. Care must be taken to apply Sika® Aktivator PRO only to the required areas. If the product is applied to the transparent area of the glass, it will be visible and the customer will have cause for complaint.
- Sika® Primer-207 can be cleaned using Sika® Remover-208 or Sika® Handwipes tissues as long as it has not cured completely. Once cured, it must be removed mechanically.
- Applying a thick layer of Sika® Primer-207 results in a longer flash-off time. But if applied as corrosion protection on bare metal it is recommended that two thick layers of Sika® Primer-207 be applied for long lasting protection
- If the viscosity of the primer gets high, NEVER use thinners or solvents to dilute the product as the higher viscosity is an indication of lower reactivity.
- Shaking primers mixes the solids that may have settled at the bottom of the bottle and ensures a thin, uniform mixture and coverage. All manufacturer’s primers containing solids should be shaken before use.