Also called high-albedo roof or white roof, a cool roof has the ability to reflect over 65% of the sun’s rays, compared to conventional roofs which repel less than 15%. Cool roofs are able to repel heat because the outermost layer contains special reflective material.
Cool Roofs Offer Many Long-term Benefits to Your Project
- Reduce the need for mechanical air conditioning and save energy costs
- Reduce urban heat island effect in cities and suburbs, minimizing thermal impact on the microclimate and on the local environment
- Minimize heat gain inside buildings, improving occupant comfort
- Enhance the durability and the appearance of roofs by significantly lowering material temperatures and extending the roof life
Sika Cool Roof Systems – What Makes a Good Product?
Our large product portfolio of waterproofing membranes for flat roofs includes suitable solutions for virtually any application.
|Requirements||Are Sika Cool Roof Systems Available?
|High initial Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) values||✓|
|High reflectance value after exposure (slight reduction of reflectance during first years until constant colour is reached)
→ The benefits of cool roods (significantly reduced energy consumption) is maintained throughout the service life
|Good cleaning properties allow regaining SRI values close to 100% of the initial value
→ Suitability of all technologies for the specific climate must be respected
|LEED requirements for LEED Credit 5, Option 1
|LEED requirements for other LEED credit options
|Single-ply membranes (FPO and PVC)||✓|
|Liquid-applied membranes and coatings (several technologies)
|Compatibility with the entire roof system, including accessories
|Proven performance and reliability, high durability
→ Lower surface temperatures increase life expectancy
|Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) available
Examples of Sika Cool Roof Buildups
- FPO membrane Sarnafil® TS 77 mechanically fixed to the substrate with Sarnafast® SBF 6.0 mm and Sarnafast® Washer KTL
- New thermal insulation
- Existing or new build-up on concrete deck
- PVC membrane Sarnafil® G 410 EL Felt fully adhered to the insulation with Sarnacol® 2142 S
- PIR, EPS/XPS insulation bonded to the vapor control layer with Sika® RoofBond or mechanically fastened to the substrate
- Self-adhesive vapor control layer Sarnavap® 5000 E SA or bitumen
- Primer 600 or Primer 610 Spray, where required
- Concrete (or timber/steel) deck
- 1-3 top coats of Sikalastic®-560
- Reinforcement with Sikalastic® Fleece-120 / Sika Reemat Premium
- Base coat Sikalastic®-560
- Sikalastic®-560 diluted with 10% water
- Concrete deck
Explore our Product Range
* Contact a Sika expert near you to enquire about our Sarnafil® solutions.